Nobody thinks about their teeth until something happens to them. Someone could be eating a candy or crunching on the ice and a tooth cracks or chips off. There is nothing that the individual can do, but contact their dentist and make an emergency appointment. Save the tooth because it gives the dentist the best options of what to do.
Teeth enamel is the most mineralized and hard tissue in the body and protects the teeth in normal situations. If there is decay, this makes it easier for the tooth to break, and if the broken part of the tooth is lost in the accident, do not worry. The dentist has many ways to fix it.
Keeping Your Teeth Healthy
A bright smile is the best asset for anyone, and when a tooth cracks and/or breaks, it is usually because of weakness, which can come from decay. Here are seven ways to prevent breakage and maintain oral health.
1. Brushing and flossing are the basics, but research shows that a high-quality electric toothbrush cleans more plague and food from teeth than ordinary brushes.
2. Flossing is essential both for teeth and gums. Practice flossing until it only takes a minute after brushing.
3. Rinse after brushing with ½ of your favorite mouthwash and ½ hydrogen peroxide. It takes only 10 seconds, yet kills hidden bacteria between teeth.
4. Drinking sodas is a bad habit that coats your teeth with sugar. Cut down or cut out!
5. Stop smoking. Cigarette smoke dulls your smile, and it also causes a type of gum disease that cannot be cured.
6. Water is your teeth’s best friend, even tap water because it has fluoride added. Drink water everyday to keep your teeth well-rinsed between brushings.
7. The American Dental Association, or ADA, recommends a check-up every six months with X-rays and teeth cleaning. This will prevent emergencies such as a chipped tooth, which the dentist might have noticed it, strengthened or removed the decay.
While waiting for the dentist, if the tooth is painful, take an over-the-counter pain reliever. If the chip caused a sharp edge, cover it with a piece of sugarless gum and do not eat. Drink only cool liquids.
There are several types of treatment that the dentist may choose to use. Here are the most common methods.
1. Bonding or Filling – A filling can be used if the chip is on a back tooth. If the tooth is in the front, the dentist will use bonding that is tooth-colored resin. This should be finished in one visit.
2. Cap or Crown – If a large piece has broken off, or if there is decay around the chip, the dentist will drill the excess out and cover the chipped tooth with a temporary cap. Then you both will decide whether the final crown should it be porcelain, gold or silver; it takes typically two weeks for the final appointment.
3. Root Canal – If the break has hit nerves and blood vessels, the tissues will have to be removed or disease can set in. Most of the time, the dentist will recommend an specialist or an endodontic to perform the root canal. Then a crown is put over the root canal.
4. Dental Veneers – are super thin slices of porcelain used in the front teeth. The dentist prepares the tooth, creates an impression and similar to a crown, the veneer is made in laboratory and then put on by the dentist, which take about two weeks.
There is no way for someone who has cracked, broken or chipped a tooth to fix it themselves; it needs professional help. The dentists at TLC Dentistry in Salinas are experienced in every area of dentistry. If you or someone you know has broken a tooth, call the office as soon as possible. Our caring staff will have you in front of a dentist in no time to fix that tooth. Call: (831) 757-1038